Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Dogs and Gardens

Okay those two subjects really have nothing to do with each other except I'm going to rant about both.

I love dogs I really do. We have a four year old Sheltie, a two year old part Alaskan Malamute, and then we have my oldest son’s two chocolate Labs. One is six years old and the other still just a puppy at about 18months.

I love the son too, at least most of the time.

However with the tremendous heat we’ve had this spring ........ we kinda skipped spring actually and went straight to summer..... having so many dogs in the house everyday is getting to be a chore. You may ask why I have them in the house, I ask myself that too, but the truth is for some reason the flies just will not leave their ears alone. If we leave them outside in the heat of the day then the flies chew their ears until they are covered in sores.

Back to my rant.....

I’m sweeping the floor everyday, and despite making the kids comb the dogs outside at least once a day I still get enough hair off the floor to cover a small dog. And it is Not my Sheltie’s hair; it is the short haired dog’s hair that is all over the place.

Now about the garden. I posted to the friends on one of my loops how last week some evil green worms/caterpillars ate every single leaf off my broccoli plants practically overnight. Well this weekend we had thunderstorms which brought some much needed rain but also brought some very high winds .........

The winds destroyed my squash plants.

My green beans are only doing so so and while my pepper plants do have several buds on them I’m not going to get my hopes up. Last year I actually got ONE pepper off each of my plants.

Next year I’m only planting flowers, because the Marigolds are the only things I planted that seem to be thriving.

No comments: